Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The Homeschool Idea

I have wanted to homeschool since before I had any children of my own (I only have one, Nugget).  The idea was formed in my heart and mind when I was a small group shepherd for a group of 4th grade girls at my church, Grace Community Church in Noblesville, IN.  About half the girls in the group were homeschooled and they truly amazed me.  Not that the publicschoolers weren't amazing.  Maybe it would be better to say that the homeschoolers completely reversed my assumptions.  They were not overly shy or anti-social, they weren't 'dorks,' they didn't only talk about the bible all the time, or wear long skirts and their hair down to their ankles.  Yes!  Those were qualities I thought all homeschoolers exhibited!  To the contrary, these girls were polite and respectful, generous and kind, fashionable, intelligent, and beautiful.  I've thought recently if they were/are physically beautiful by worldly standards.  I've come to the conclusion that yes they were and are, but what I must have been seeing was a beauty that the Lord sees in all of us yet only some of us live in such a way that it is visible to others.  I noticed these girls quietly and graciously approach new kids and ask their names - without it being suggested to them that they do so.  This absolutely floored me!  And the kindness and respect that they showed me as their shepherd was unlike anything I had experienced before from children.  Two particular small group times still stand out to me and were instrumental in my desire to homeschool.  One time, and I wish I could remeber what the topic was, one of the homeschoolers said, "I don't know what I'd do if I had to go a whole day without seeing my mom!  <her hand on her heart>  She's my best friend."  My immediate thought was, "I wish I could say the same."  Another group discussion centered around popularity.  As the discussion progressed, I noticed the homeschool girls exchanging confused glances.  I asked if they had any questions and one (the same girl mentioned before) said, "Well, we're wondering what is popular?"  My jaw must've hit the floor.  I had no idea someone could NOT know about being or not being popular.  As a public school alumni, I knew the subject all too well.  The publicschoolers and I tried to explain it to the homeschoolers.  "So, it means that you're famous?"  "Well, yeah, pretty much everyone knows who you are."  "So, everyone like you."  "Well, not exactly."  Such an interesting conversation.  I will never forget it.  And I thought how wonderful for these girls to not have to worry about popularity!  They have family that loves them and they hear it all the time because they are with their family all the time.  The friends they are with also hear that they are loved all the time and so they live this out with each other.  I wished I could say the same thing for myself.  More than that, I wanted to provide that kind of family to my own children.  I wanted others to see my children as I saw the girls in my small group.  I stayed with those girls through the sixth grade and I still treasure them as 'my girls.'  They are headed off to college in a few weeks!  I have gone to a couple of their graduation open houses this summer and have been thrilled to find that they are just as beautiful, inside and out, as they were six years ago - if not more.  I was reading a blog post on www.confessionsofahomeschooler.com and thought it captured many of the same reasons I am choosing to try homeschool.  You can read her post here.  As of now, we are planning to try homeschooling loosely for the coming year (preschool) and are looking into a co-op for one day a week.  Kindergarten is not required in Indiana so, we will use that year to really get into it.  As that school year comes to a close, we can reevaluate and determine whether or not to stick with it.  I am excited!  I have taught preschool (ages 18 months up to preK) and at a daycare (substitute for infant - preK, and a lead teacher for preK and 3's) so, I feel qualified.  I have a love of learning in general which is great because I am reading about new ideas and techniques all the time.  I plan to start using the Workboxes system and will post more details about that soon.  Our homeschool will start in September, after Labor Day (another perk!).  I hope you enjoy sharing in our journey and I hope I can keep up with the posting!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment